We got our intercooler core in for the 350Z so we tore the Z back apart and started designing the end tanks. Were using a vertical flow intercooler so that we can utilize as much of the relatively small 350Z bumper opening and still have the capabilities of making over 700whp.
To create extra room for fitting our intercooler we designed a PS cooler relocation bracket. It only requires un-bolting the cooler, then bolting it back on with the new bracket. No line length changes or anything like that…
Also to give ample clearance we moved the horns to a different position as pictured. Next to the horns, we re-positioned the airbag sensor just below the hood latch by shortening the original Airbag sensor bracket…
With everything out of the way, we continued with the intercooler tank design. We built our own bumper support brackets from scratch to incorporate the intercooler within the factory support position.
Our end tank design creates short and tucked intercooler piping that will eliminate interference with suspension components, such as steering clearance and having large wheels up front. This tank design also requires no trimmming of the bumper since the Intercooler replaces the factory bumper support. We welded the tanks up and re-installed everything to start plumbing the intercooler pipes….
With the tanks welded up and the Intercooler Support brackets welded up we built the inlet pipe to the bottom of the intercooler. Running the pipe directly underneath the radiator support will give no restrictions and keep the pipe tucked out of harms way.
A little trimming of the plastic undertray was done to allow the pipe to route along the curvature of the Z’s under body.
A few final snips and the lower Inlet Pipe was routed with plenty of ground clearance, we’ll be testing out clearance around town.
We fit everything back on the car and put it back in working order, this is still a daily driver. Another night, another step in the project….next time we’ll be spending some more time on The DOC VQ Intake Manifold….